Vienna School Number 7, also called the Murray's Corners School, was housed over the term of its existence in two buildings at two separate locations on the west side of Vienna Township. The school was a sub-district of the Vienna Township Rural School District.
Between 1840 and 1847, the school's building was located on the H. M. Mackey farm, two miles west of Vienna Center, on the south side of Warren-Sharon Road. The second building was erected on the northwest corner of Murray's Corners (Warren-Sharon and Ridge roads), on land owned by the Ann Murray family.
The original school building was moved to the Glen Wireman farm (also on Warren-Sharon Road), only to be removed in the 1990s. The Murray's Corners school building was moved across Warren-Sharon Road to the former Catchpole farm, where it serves as a storage facility.
Teachers and Administrators
Elton Dunlap taught school at Murray's Corners for a monthly salary of thirty dollars. Josephine Miller later taught there, as did Mildred Crooks and Ithiel B. Taylor.
Souvenir, Murray's Corners School, 1909 (Teacher Ithiel B. Taylor)
Souvenir, Murray's Corners School, no date (Teacher Mildred Crooks)
This article is adapted from Fred L. Martin and Genie Ulp, "Vienna Township Schools, Then and Now," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2, of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), p. 166.