Vienna School Number 4 was called the Block School due to its composition of log pieces (blocks). The building stood on the southwest corner of Youngstown-Kingsville Road (State Route 193) and Smith-Stewart Road. The original structure burned in 1858 and was replaced with a frame building. Despite the new construction and materials, the building was still referred to as the Block School. The school was a sub-district of the Vienna Township Rural School District.
Teachers and Administrators
In 1900 Ithel F. Mathews (after whom Vienna and Fowler's consolidated high school would be named) was hired as a teach in this school for the monthly salary of 25 dollars.
This article is adapted from Fred L. Martin and Genie Ulp, "Vienna Township Schools, Then and Now," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2, of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), p. 163.