The Vienna Historical Society prepared a successful application for a two-sided Ohio Historical Marker. This marker was dedicated on September 20, 2014.
The Vienna Township Green is located on the northwest corner of Warren-Sharon Road and Youngstown-Kingsville Road, at Vienna Center. Located on the Green is the Vienna Presbyterian Church, the Vienna Methodist Church, Copper Penny Masonic Lodge, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, and the Bicentennial Gazebo. Behind the Green is Vienna Township Cemetery. Under a 99-year lease it is currently maintained by the Township.Ohio Historical Marker Dedication
Vienna Township Green, 1908-1915. Note the hitching post in front of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, to the right of the image.
This post card was created by the Art Manufacturing Company, Amelia, Ohio. (Click image to enlarge.)
On June 20, 1810, eight acres on the northwest corner of Vienna Center was purchased by the Presbyterian Society (an ecclesiastical society formed for the purposes of non-theological business of the Vienna Presbyterian Church) for $20.00. Throughout the years specific portions of this land have been designated for the betterment of the community, such as land for the buildings and monuments located on this land.
The Vienna Presbyterian Church building was constructed in 1837 and, after a fire, rebuilt in 1854. The Vienna Methodist Church building was erected in 1849-1850. The Copper Penny Masonic Lodge building, originally a two-story schoolhouse and later the home of the Vienna Grange, was ready by at least 1872. The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was dedicated in 1889. The Bicentennial Gazebo was erected in 1999 to commemorate Vienna Township's founding.
The current Vienna Township Hall, constructed in 1825, once stood between the Copper Penny Masonic Lodge and the Vienna Presbyterian Church and housed also the Vienna Academy.
A transcription of the Vienna Township Green deed is available: Vienna Township Green Deed.pdf
This entry is adapted from "Vienna Township Green," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), pp. 141-143, 147.