Sometimes known as the Upper Lake, the body of water called Girard Lake extends, at its southwest corner, into Vienna Township. The lake was created from farm families' properties. Vassel Dzunda surrendered his 74-acre farm to the Ohio Water Service on February 26, 1930. Frank Bukovac contributed seven acres to the Ohio Water Service on January 23, 1930. By the end of that year, forty more acres had been sold by Frank Terlecky, supplemented by nineteen acres belong to Adam File and by sixty-eight acres sold by Albert Walker. The lake was created in 1931-1933.
Girard Lake covers a roadbed previously called the Cross-Wartman Road. This roadway extended from Niles-Vienna Road across the field south to Tibbetts-Wick Road in Liberty Township.
Lost were the houses on this road. Lost also was the Lowry Cemetery, so named after Samuel Lowry, who owned the land. His farm extended from Vienna Township south into Liberty Township where the cemetery was situated.
The source of water that flows into the comes from the Shoo Fly Mine located behind Mathews High School. As the water from the mine flows south on its way to the Lake, it is joined with five or six springs. This stream flowing into Girard Lake is known as West Squaw Creek.
In July 1995 the City of Girard bought the lakes. The Upper Lake was called Girard Lake and the Lower Lake was called Liberty Lake. Before 1996, the lakes' water was used for industry. The water is now used primarily by the City of Girard.
This entry is adapted from Fred L. Martin, "Lakes," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), pp. 252-253.
 For more information see http://www.cityofgirard.com/parks.php.
 Lowry, who had the first sawmill on Squaw Creek, was buried in this cemetery. He was born August 25, 1778, in Bristol, Hartford County, Connecticut, and died July 28, 1828, in Vienna Township. His wife, Ruth Norton, whom he married in 1803, was also buried in Lowry Cemetery, as was their son, Richard Lowry (1804-November 8, 1861). Richard Lowry was a blacksmith and was the husband of Rachel Scovill.
 Warren Tribune-Chronicle, June 23, 1997.