Dunlap Cemetery is so called because it is located on property once owned by the Chauncy Dunlap family. It was originally known as the Johnson Cemetery. Some time between 1860 and 1870 the property had been purchased from Dr. Ransom Johnson, who had sold the land (which he had purchased in 1812) to live with a son in Hartford, Trumbull County, Ohio. The cemetery thus contains the remains of Johnson family members, neighbors, and patients.
This historic cemetery is maintained by Vienna Township. No new burials are permitted. The other Township-maintained cemeteries are Doud Cemetery and Vienna Township Cemetery.
We're typing as fast as we can! Please return soon.
In 2009 the Vienna Historical Society established a Township Cemeteries preservation project. Information about this project is available at the Vienna Historical Society's website.
This entry is adapted from two articles in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999): Carley Cooper O'Neill, "Township Cemeteries," pp. 117-119, and Fred L. Martin and James Bradley, "A Genealogical History of Vienna," pp. 74-75.