The War of 1812 (1812-1815) was a watershed event in the history of Vienna Township, Ohio.
After the American Revolution, Americans suffered as the nation struggled with inflation, the payment of the national debt, and the creation of state, territorial, and national governments. The optimism of the Connecticut Land Company in surveying and selling land in the Western Reserve was dimmed by the slow settlement of the region. Few families came to Vienna after it was established in 1799.
The American Revolution may have ended with the Treaty of Paris in 1783, but Great Britain remained a presence on American soil. British soldiers occupied the Great Lakes region (especially northwestern Ohio) and supported Native American efforts to repel Americans' westward migration and settlement. The War of 1812 was in part fought because of these actions. Ohio was the location for several major battles, including the sieges of Ft. Meigs by British forces and Tecumseh (1813) and Captain Oliver Hazard Perry's victory in the Battle of Lake Erie (September 10, 1813).
On April 6, 1812, President James Madison instructed Governor Return Jonathan Meigs to assemble the militia at Dayton, Ohio. There the soldiers drilled. Under Michigan territorial Governor William Hull (commissioned by President as a brigadier general), the troops left Dayton to march to Detroit on June 1.
According to the Ohio Adjutant General's Roster of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812 (Columbus, OH: Press of the Edward T. Miller Co., 1916), the young state provided 26,280 men (1,759 officers and 24,521 enlisted men): three regiments, 464 companies, 13 cavalry troops, and one artillery battery.
Many Vienna men served in Captain Asa Hutchins' Company. A roster of these men is available here.
The following veterans of the War of 1812 are buried in Vienna's cemeteries or in Payne's Corners Cemetery, on the Brookfield side of Payne's Corners.