Birth: August 4, 1856, New Lebanon, Mercer County, Pennsylvania
From Harriet Taylor Upton, A Twentieth Century History of Trumbull County, Ohio, A Narrative Account of its Historical Progress, Its People, and Its Principal Interests (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1909), Volume 1, pp. 254-255:
C. A. PIERSON, one of the substantial and extensive agriculturists cultivating the fertile soil of Vienna township, Trumbull county, was born at New Lebanon, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, August 4, 1856, a son of E. A. and Henrietta (Turner) Pierson. Of his parentage it may be stated that his father was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, while the mother was a native of Mercer county. The paternal grandfather, Abel S. Pierson, was a native of New York state, of Scotch descent, as are all the Piersons in this country. Abel S. went to Pennsylvania at a very early time and was a farmer and stock raiser; also speculated in real estate. He died in Pennsylvania in 1867. The father resided with his parents until his marriage, then engaged in clerking in a store, continuing until the breaking out of the Civil war, when he enlisted in Company B, Eighty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served his country two and a half years. After the war closed he embarked in the mercantile business at New Lebanon, where he carried on a successful business several years and was the postmaster at that place, having been appointed under President U. S. Grant. His wife died about that time, and he then went to Montana and is now engaged in mercantile pursuits in Fromburg, Montana, and is also the postmaster of the town. In his family there were five children, three of whom died in infancy: Minnie J., was the wife of Elmer Seafuse, of Lake City, Michigan; she is deceased. C. A. is the eldest of the two children who survived to maturity.
C. A. Pierson began for himself in life when aged but thirteen years by working in a store in Vienna, where he remained fourteen years, then removed to the farm on which he now lives and where he has resided continuously. He has come to be an extensive stock raiser. His farm consists of one hundred and fifty acres--the home place--and forty acres more between Vienna and Vienna Center. Mr. Pierson is now in possession of a deed of the land where he now lives, which instrument was made to Mrs. Pierson's grandfather in 1803.
April 11, 1878, Mr. Pierson was married to Mary Strain, born in Vienna township, November 6, 1857, a daughter of Samuel and Mary W. (Woodford) Strain. The mother was born on the farm where Mr. Pierson now lives. The father was born in Pennsylvania. The Woodfords were natives of Connecticut. Mr. and Mrs. Pierson are the parents of two children: W. W. Pierson, an attorney-in-law residing and practicing at Youngstown, born February 2, 1880, married Mina Josephine Clawson, born in Fowler township, and by this union one child was born, Virginius W.; Olive B., born May 28, 1882, wife of T. C. Cochran, residing in Mercer, Pennsylvania; they are the parents of one son, Wilson H.
C. A. Pierson is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to the Knights Templar degree, being connected with Warren Commandery, No. 39, at Warren.