People‎ > ‎

Gregory, Alfred

Farmer
Birth: January 29, 1851, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Death:

Published Biography
From Harriet Taylor Upton, A Twentieth Century History of Trumbull County, Ohio, A Narrative Account of its Historical Progress, Its People, and Its Principal Interests (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1909), Volume 2, pp. 239-240:

ALFRED GREGORY, who is numbered among the farmers who have made a success at tilling the land in that part of Trumbull county known as Vienna township, is a native of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, born January 29, 1851, a son of Charles and Elizabeth (McConnell) Gregory. The father was born in Connecticut and the mother in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. The father was descended from good old Scotch ancestry. He followed boat building and pursued his trade until his death, when he was seventy-five years of age, dying in 1873. The date of the mother’s death was about 1861.

There were six children in the family of Charles and Elizabeth McConnell Gregory, only one of whom is living, Alfred of this sketch. By a second marriage there were five children born and only one of this number survives—a half brother of Alfred. The brother was a gallant soldier during the Civil war for three years and is now blind and resides in Sharon.

Alfred Gregory, of this biography, attended the district schools of Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, and remained at home with his parents until twenty-one years of age, after which, for about ten years, he worked his father’s farm in Pennsylvania, coming to Vienna township, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1888. He married and purchased a farm in Hartford township, residing there about nine years. When the Lake Shore Railroad was built through his farm he sold and then purchased a farm of one hundred and eight acres, a part of which land belonged to his father-in-law. Here Mr. Gregory has erected a commodious new residence at an expense of two thousand dollars and made many other valuable improvements thereon. He carries on an up-to-date farming business here, making a specialty of raising Jersey cattle and Shropshire sheep, and he expects to make this his permanent home. What property Mr. Gregory owns he has accumulated by the dint of real industry, having been a brain as well as a muscle worker.

Mr. Gregory was united in marriage in March, 1888, to Miss Florence A. Williams, a daughter of Squire Williams. She was born on the farm where she now resides in the month of March, 1850. Her parents were natives of Vermont and came to Ohio at an early day and after a long and industrious career died on the hold homestead.

In religious faith, he is a follower of the teachings of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which he belongs at the church in Brookfield township. Politically, he is a firm supporter of the principles of the Republican party, but has never cared to hold public office.