Birth: December 9, 1877, Massillon, Stark County, Ohio
From Harriet Taylor Upton, A Twentieth Century History of Trumbull County, Ohio, A Narrative Account of its Historical Progress, Its People, and Its Principal Interests (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1909), Volume 2, pp. 238-239:
KENT DOLL, whose excellent farm home is situated on the rural mail delivery route out from Tyrrell, Vienna township, is a native of Massillon, Ohio, born December 9, 1877, is the son of Benjamin and Katherine (Fisher) Doll, both of the parents being natives of Pennsylvania. The father was born in 1826 and the mother in 1838. When about six years of age, the father accompanied his parents to Ohio and they located at Osnaburg, on a farm, but later removed to Massillon and resided with their son until their death. The father became the owner of a larger farm upon which he resides the remainder of his days, his death occurring December 5, 1906; the mother died May 14, 1887. In the family of Benjamin and Katherine Doll there were eight children: Josiah, residing in Canton, Ohio, a farmer; Flora, wife of Charles Rhodes, of Massillon, Ohio, a widow; Dennison, residing at Massillon, a traveling salesman for Russell Bros.’ farm implements; Logan, residing on a farm near Canton, Ohio; Melville, residing at Massillon, a farmer; Cora, wife of Eugene Shanabrook of Massillon, a motorman; Albert, residing at Massillon, a railway engineer on the Wheeling railway; Kent, of this biography.
Kent Doll attended the public schools of his native county near Massillon, and early in life united with the Christian church. Up to the time he was nineteen years of age he remained at home assisting his father and gaining a common school education. He then enlisted as a member of the Eighth Ohio Volunteer Regiment, in Company L, under Captain Fisher, to do military service in Cuba at the time of the Spanish-American war in 1898. After his six months’ army career, he worked on the farm for his father for one year and then went to work in a glass factory, in which he continued six years. His next employment was that of rural mail carrier, which he followed for a year, after which he became baggagemaster at the Pennsylvania station at Massillon, Ohio. After a service of a year and a half there he returned to the glass factory, where he worked eighteen months and then purchased the one hundred and eighty-four acre farm where he now resides. He went to this farm home March 1, 1907, and there carries on general farming operations and expects to branch out into the dairy business; also is a breeder of Holstein cattle.
Mr. Doll is a member of the Grange and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics at Massillon. Politically, he is a supporter of the general principles as set forth by the Republican party. He has never cared to hold public office, but believes in good local government.
He was married October 23, 1901, to Miss Millie Masters, born at Massillon, December 19, 1879, a daughter of Thomas and Sarah Ann (Powell) Masters. Both of her parents were born in England, the father in 1831 and the mother in 1850. He came to America about 1870 and the mother a few years later. They were united in marriage in Massillon, Ohio. The father engaged in the grocery business and continued in it about thirty years, retiring about a year before his death in June, 1897. The mother still lives at Massillon, on the old homestead. There were three children born to them: Thomas E., deceased; William J., with the mother on the old place; Mrs. Doll, being the youngest of the three. Mr. and Mrs. Doll are the parents of one child: Denton T., born April 13, 1905.