People‎ > ‎

Clinton, Samuel, and Mercy Downs

Samuel Clinton: Pioneer, Farmer, Justice of the Peace
Birth: July 22, 1754, Milford, New Haven County, Connecticut
Death: June 28, 1820, Vienna, Trumbull County, Ohio
Burial: Vienna Township Cemetery

Mercy Downs Clinton: Pioneer, Farmer
Birth: January 8, 1755, Connecticut
Death: April 6, 1817, Vienna, Trumbull County, Ohio
Burial: Vienna Township Cemetery

Samuel and Mercy Downs Clinton settled in Vienna Township in 1802. They had married in Woodbridge, Connecticut, on December 7, 1774. The couple had eight children: the first two born died in infancy and the remaining six children accompanied their parents to the Connecticut Western Reserve.

Clinton purchased a farm in Lot #24, south of Vienna Center on the west side of the road.

Samuel Clinton was Vienna Township's first justice of the peace. He was also one of the first members of Vienna Presbyterian Church.

It was Clinton's log building, originally intended for pigs, that served in the fall of 1805 as the Township's first public schoolhouse. It served in this capacity until the spring of 1806, when a permanent structure was erected on the northeast corner of Vienna Center.


This article is based on Fred L. Martin and James Bradley, "A Genealogical History of Vienna," in Vienna, Ohio, Where We Live and Let Live: Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), pp. 34-35.