Andrews, Lucius

Coal Mine Owner, Merchant
Birth: June 28, 1841, Brookfield, Trumbull County, Ohio
Death:

Published Biography
From Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Trumbull and Mahoning. … (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893), pp. 406-07:

LUCIUS ANDREWS, one of the representative citizens of Vienna, was born in Brookfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 28, 1841, a son of Andrew and Mary (Barnhisel) Andrews, both of whom died in Vienna, the father May 2, 1873, and the mother September 5, 1886. The father was born in Burlington, Connecticut, July 14, 1815, and the mother August 23, 1818. He was a son of Whiteley H. and Phoebe (Woodford) Andrews. The former was of English ancestry, and they removed to Brookfield, Ohio, where they settled. Whiteley H. was a man of considerable wealth, and was a farmer by occupation. Andrew J. Andrews, father of our subject, came to Ohio with his parents when a small boy, was reared to farm life in Brookfield, Trumbull county, and at the age of twenty years, in connection with farming, began dealing in cattle. In 1868 he became interested with is son, our subject, and Chauncey Andrews, of Youngstown, in searching for coal in Vienna and adjoining townships. They located a number of the best mines in this part of Ohio, and also developed and operated a number of them. Later, in company with General Curtis, of Sharon, Pennsylvania, and Jacob Messersmith, of Vienna, Mr. Andrews developed the Mecca oil fields. He was a public-spirited man, a Democrat in an early day and later a Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews had two children. The daughter, Lucy E., is the widow of Robert H. Jewell, formerly a banker in Hubbard, and still resides in that village.

Lucius Andrews, the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm in Vienna township, and received his education in the public schools and at the Farmington and Hiram Colleges. After completing his education he was engaged with his father in the stock business a few years, next followed coal mining in company with his father and Chauncey Andrews. In 1874 he embarked in the mercantile business in Vienna, with M. A. Quilty, two years later sold his store, and in 1878 moved to Meadville, Pennsylvania, to educate his children, and engaged while there in business. Six months later Mr. Andrews returned to Ohio, where he was associated with the malleable iron works for two years, and then returned to his old home in Vienna. He still resides at that place, living a retired life. In political matters he is a stanch Democrat; has held the office of Township Trustee, and has been a member of the School Board. Socially he is a member of the F. & A. M., Mahoning Lodge, No. 394.

Mr. Andrews was married, May 8, 1862, to Miss Cornelia Woodford, a native of Vienna and a daughter of Henry and Rachel (Bradley) Woodford. To this union have been born two children: Alfred L., traveling with a Chicago mercantile agency; and Mary R., wife of Edward L. Hauser, a member of the firm of Hauser & Son, of Girard, Ohio.

Residence
The residence of Lucius Andrews was built on Lot 18, on the north side of the east-west (Warren-Sharon) road just east of Vienna Center, and across the street from Job J. Holliday's res
idence. From Combination Atlas Map of Trumbull County, Ohio: Compiled, Drawn and Published from Personal Examinations and Surveys (Chicago: L. H. Everts, 1874).