The Vienna Township Volunteer Fire Department, organized in April 1940, was the second such department (after Champion Township) in Trumbull County.
Organizing the Department
The charter members of the Department were:
Clarence Boyd, Captain
Lewis Catchpole, Vice President
E. D. Hanley, Secretary-Treasurer
Aubrey Hayes, Assistant Captain
Harry Huffman, Lieutenant
Charles "Sam" Scott, Chief
Harry Scott, Assistant Chief
Paul C. Shoff
Paul Smith, Lieutenant
Harold Viets, President
The Department first met in Vienna Township Hall. In 1941 a 24' x 26' addition was constructed to the east side of the Hall to accommodate the men and a fire truck.
In November 1953 land was purchased for $2,300 from Arnold and Blanche Burkett for a new fire station across from Township Hall. This new building was dedicated in September 1956. Construction costs totaled $46,457.
On January 12, 1956, a Ladies' Auxiliary was formed. The charter members were: Thelma Norton, Carolyn Wagner, Della Hayes, Florence Furrie, Daisy Smith, Vera Lay, Lillian Shoff, Mildred Tidd, Anita Lutz, Beverly Roger, Elizabeth Powell, Mary Groft, Helen Clower, Evelyn Scott, Lola Miller, Betty Joseph, Gladys Durig, Anita Jones, Janet Everett, and Carol Heston.
Equipping the Department
Acquiring a firefighting fleet of vehicles and equipment came soon after the Department's organization. In May 1940, a half-ton Chevrolet chassis was purchased from Viets Motor Company for $670. This first fire engine, added to the purchases of one pump, tank, hoses, and miscellaneous items totaled $1,987.
In May 1949, a second truck was purchased and outfitted at a cost of $2,666,95.
In 1955, the Department purchased a used 1948 Jeep and refitted it to battle grass fires.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vienna Airport Post 1742 donated a 1941 Oldsmobile ambulance.
A used tanker truck from the Hartford Fire Department was added in September 1959.
In May 1964 the Department purchased a Ford station wagon for emergencies.A John Beam Pumper, costing $21,300.46, was also purchased in 1964.
A new Jeep was purchased in May 1967.
A Ford rescue squad vehicle was acquired in 1977.
In 1985, a 1970 pickup truck was acquired from Howland.
In 1990, a Pierce Pumper Tanker and a Ford Squad Car were acquired.
A J. B. Rescue vehicle was acquired in 1996.
Six fire chiefs have overseen the Township's Fire Department since 1940: Charles "Sam" Scott (1940-1946); Paul Smith (1946-1970), Harry Groft (1870-1978); Paul C. Shoff (1978-1990); Lyle Huffman (1990-1995), and since 1995, Richard Brannon.
This article is adapted from Warren and Helen Clower, "Vienna Fire Department," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), pp. 190-193.