In 1867, residents of Vienna Township created the Phoenix Lodge Number 329 of the Independent Order of Good Templars. Founded during the post-Civil War coal boom, the Lodge was but one of at least four organizations established to combat the growth of saloons and taverns in the Township. Its establishment and activities mirrored the larger temperance movement in Trumbull County, the State of Ohio, and the United States in the years after the Civil War. This movement would eventually work to outlaw the production and sale of alcohol in the nation through the Seventeenth Amendment to the Constitution. This "Prohibition Era" lasted from 1919 to 1933.
The Independent Order of Good Templars was founded in Utica, New York, in 1851. It adopted a ritual similar to that used in Freemasonry. In 1859 the Good Templars adopted a six-point platform:
The organization today is known as the International Order of Good Templars.
Vienna's Phoenix Lodge Activities
Western Reserve Chronicle, August 4, 1869, page 3