The First Assembly of God, located at 5000 Warren-Sharon Road, was pioneered by Pastor C. William Stevens as a Church of Christ in 1973. In March, 1984, the church and congregation affiliated with the Assemblies of God.
The Assemblies of God is the world's largest Pentecostal denomination, with congregations in over 200 nations and territories. In the early twentieth century, a Pentecostal revival occurred in the United States. Unwelcome in established churches, participants formed their own congregations. In April 1914, about 300 representatives of these congregations helped to form the General Council of the Assemblies of God in the United States of America. In 1988, a number of Assemblies of God national fellowships formed the World Pentecostal Assemblies of God Fellowship.
Pastor Stevens presided over the construction of the present facilities in 1973. An addition was completed in 1980. The church building, constructed of brick, sits on eight acres of land. The sanctuary has a seating capacity of 275-300 people. The building also contains eleven classrooms, three offices, a fellowship hall, and a full basement.
The congregation and others outside the church sent Pastor Stevens to Russia in 1993 and again in 1995 to organize three churches in Kirzigo, located in the southern part of the former Soviet Union near the border with China.
The church peaked in attendance in 1983 at approximately 300.
Pastor Stevens retired on Easter, 1996. Gary T. Roy became pastor of the First Assembly of God.
This article is adapted from Fred L. Martin, "Places of Worship," Vienna, Ohio, Where We Live and Let Live: Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), p. 157.First Assemby