The Barber Post Office was located on the east side of Sodom-Hutchins (now Sodom-Hutchings) Road.
Mr. J. P. Barber was the postmaster. According to the 1880 Federal Census, he was a retail grocer, born in Ohio of Irish parentage. This store likely served the mining community during the coal mining boom years of the late nineteenth century.
This article is adapted from Carley Cooper O'Neill, "Government," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), p. 113.