Vienna Township maintained a pound for stray animals throughout the nineteenth century. The pound was an open lot located on the west side of Vienna Presbyterian Church parsonage, facing Youngstown-Kingsville Road (State Route 193). The Township trustees leased this land from the Presbyterian Church. The lease was renewed as late as 1890 for at an annual rate of $3.00 over a ten-year term.
The Township clerk was in charge of advertising found strays. This handwritten notice is found in the Vienna Township historical records:
Stray mare & colt
Broke into the enclosure of the subscriber on or about the first of October, a sorrel mare with a stripe in the face. The colt is also a sorrel & a wide stripe in the face with white hind legs up to the ham joints & is a horse colt. The mare is a good size, is supposed to be about nine years old.
Vienna, October 11, 1838
Unclaimed animals were subject to public auction, advertised by the Township clerk.
This article is based on Carley Cooper O'Neill, "Government," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), pp. 100-101.