The Viets Motor Company was created on July 4, 1927, when F. H. Humason sold his Ford garage to H. L. Viets and Leon L. Rogers. The business was located on the north side of Warren-Sharon Road, east of Vienna Center. The business was held in the Viets family until June 10, 1993.
At the time of the company's founding H. L. Viets was the service manager at D. E. Miller and Son's Ford agency in Warren, Ohio. After purchasing the Humason business in Vienna, Viets and Rogers contracted, in May 1928, with the Chevrolet Motors Division. In 1929, Viets bought Rogers' interest in the garage, the building, and the lot. Around 1938 Viets bought the Old Stage Coach Inn (where F. H. Humason and his wife were living) and two acres of land adjoining the property.
In 1941, Viets doubled the size of the shop, paneled the showroom and offices, and installed two restrooms. In 1950 he constructed a five-bay body shop.
H. L. Viets retired in 1958. His son, Robert L. Viets, continued in the business, and in 1965 younger son A. Ronald Viets entered the business. In 1978, A. Ronald Viets purchased a Chevrolet agency in Fredericktown, Ohio, and left Vienna.
The third generation of the Viets family entered into the business in August 1985, when Robert L.'s son, Roger L. Viets, became the dealer. Following a massive stroke at the age of 44, Roger was forced to sell the business to Mark Taylor of Austintown, Ohio, on June 10, 1993.
Vera Viets Burns's Memories
Vera Viets Burns, the daughter of H. L. Viets, recalled these memories in 1999:
This article is adapted from Vera Viets Burns, Vienna, Ohio, Where We Live and Let Live: Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), pp. 266-267.