Vienna Lumber Company was established in 1955 by Louis and Dorothy Bertok. The business sold lumber, hardware, a selection of tools, and electrical supplies.
The first customer was Paul Smith. He purchased a five-foot step ladder for $5.95. Owner Dorothy Bertok recalls that she hand her husband had intended to keep the money from this first sale but finances dictated otherwise.
In 1959 the dairy barn was converted into a larger merchandising display area to house expanding inventory.
Business competition dictated a decision to switch entirely to drywall sales in 1971. Vienna Supplies, Inc. became the largest, exclusively drywall sales company in Trumbull County.
The business was sold in 1986. What was once a local lumber company is now The Drywall Barn, owned by Alsons Inc.
This entry is adapted from Dorothy Bertok, "Vienna Lumber Company," in Vienna, Ohio, "Where We Live and Let Live": Town 4, Range 2 of the Connecticut Western Reserve (Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1999), p. 265.